Prep 1 h | Cook 35 m | Ready In 2 h 5 m
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt, or as needed
- 1/4 pound hamachi (yellowtail)
- 1/4 pound maguro (tuna)
- 1/4 pound cooked Ebi (shrimp), shelled and butterflied
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (optional)
- 1 sheet nori, cut into 1-inch strips
- Bring water and rice to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer rice to a bowl and cut in rice vinegar using a rice paddle or wooden spoon. Season with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste. Allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare fish for wrapping by slicing against the grain into thin pieces about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Whisk eggs, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a bowl. Pour about 1/4 of the mixture in a thin layer in a large greased skillet over medium heat. Cook without stirring until cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Roll into a log and set in one side of the pan. Repeat with 1/4 of the egg mixture, rolling each log into a new log, to create one large log. Slice omelet on the diagonal into pieces about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place a piece of fish or shrimp in your hand and smear it lightly with wasabi paste if desired. Grab 1 to 2 tablespoons of rice and roll it into a small nugget in your hand. Place the rice ball on top of the fish or shrimp, squeezing gently to make it adhere. Set aside while you assemble the remaining pieces of fish and shrimp.
- Take a slice of egg omelet in your hand, grab 1 to 2 tablespoons of rice, and roll it into a small nugget in your hand. Place the rice ball on top of the egg, squeezing gently to make it adhere.
- Wrap a strip of nori around each package; moisten one end of the nori strip and seal to join.
Mini Cucumber Sushi Rolls
Prep 30 m | Ready In 30 m
- 1 long seedless cucumber, ends trimmed
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 24 long fresh chives for tying
- With a peeler, slice cucumber into 8 1/8-inch thick slices lengthwise. Cut each slice into 3 pieces crosswise.
- Place about 1 teaspoon shredded carrot onto the bottom edge of a cucumber slice; place about 1 teaspoon cream cheese onto the carrot, and press 2 or 3 raisins into the cream cheese. Roll the cucumber slice into a little sushi roll, starting at the filled end. Tie roll with a chive to secure. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
California Roll Sushi
Prep 45 m | Cook 15 m | Ready In 1 h 30 m
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup imitation crabmeat, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 sheets nori (dry seaweed)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 2 avocados – pitted, peeled, and sliced the long way
- Wash the rice in several changes of water until the rinse water is no longer cloudy, drain well, and place in a covered pan or rice cooker with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover the pan. Allow the rice to simmer until the top looks dry, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes to absorb the rest of the water.
- Mix the rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved, and stir the mixture into the cooked rice until well combined. Allow the rice to cool, and set aside.
- Mix the imitation crabmeat with mayonnaise in a bowl, and set aside. To roll the sushi, cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic wrap. With wet fingers, firmly pat a thin, even layer of prepared rice over the nori, leaving 1/4 inch uncovered at the bottom edge of the sheet. Sprinkle the rice with about 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and gently press them into the rice. Carefully flip the nori sheet over so the seaweed side is up.
- Place 2 or 3 long cucumber spears, 2 or 3 slices of avocado, and about 1 tablespoon of imitation crab mixture in a line across the nori sheet, about 1/4 from the uncovered edge. Pick up the edge of the bamboo rolling sheet, fold the bottom edge of the sheet up, enclosing the filling, and tightly roll the sushi into a cylinder about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Once the sushi is rolled, wrap it in the mat and gently squeeze to compact it tightly.
- Cut each roll into 1 inch pieces with a very sharp knife dipped in water.