Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Prep 15 m | Ready In 3 h 15 m
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato and clam juice cocktail
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- salt to taste
- 1 ripe avocado – peeled, pitted and chopped
Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Stir garlic, red onion, and cilantro. Mix in tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and horseradish. Season with salt. Gently stir in avocado. Cover, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Serve in one large bowl or ladle into individual bowls.
Prep 15 m | Ready In 1 h 15 m
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 limes, juiced
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 4 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 tostada shells
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Dice shrimp and place in a mixing bowl. Squeeze lime juice over shrimp until they are completely covered, about 4 limes. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, serrano peppers, and salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Serve on top of tostada shells with a splash of hot sauce, if desired.
Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls
Prep 45 m | Cook 5 m | Ready In 50 m
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp – peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
- In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
- Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.