Three Cheese Baked Pasta
Prep 20 m | Cook 1 h | Ready In 1 h 20 m
- 1 pound uncooked pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook ground meat and onion in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until meat is browned. Stir in pasta sauce, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer the ingredients in the prepared baking dish as follows: half of the cooked pasta, all the provolone cheese, all the sour cream, half of the sauce mixture, remaining pasta, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Chef John’s Pasta Primavera
Prep 20 m | Cook 20 m | Ready In 45 m
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 cup chopped sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup shelled English peas
- 1 bunch asparagus, stalks diced, tips left whole
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or as needed
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Hold basil bunch by the stems and dip basil leaves in boiling water until bright green, about 2 seconds. Immediately immerse basil in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Once the basil is cold, drain well. Remove basil leaves from stems and discard stems.
- Blend basil leaves, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup olive oil, and garlic together in a blender until smooth.
- Stir fettuccine into the same pot of boiling water, bring back to a boil, and cook pasta over medium heat until cooked through but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir leek and green onion in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeno and salt; cook and stir until jalapeno is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir 2 cups chicken broth, zucchini, sugar snap peas, and English peas into jalapeno mixture; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until asparagus is soft, about 3 minutes more.
- Pour 1/4 cup basil-garlic mixture into zucchini mixture and cook and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place pasta in a large bowl; pour zucchini mixture over pasta and pour remaining basil-garlic mixture over the zucchini mixture. Spread Parmesan cheese over the top. Toss mixture briefly to combine and tightly wrap bowl with aluminum foil. Let stand until pasta and vegetables soak up most of the juices and oil, about 5 minutes. Toss again.
Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream
Prep 15 m | Cook 30 m | Ready In 45 m
- 1 (12 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage and pepper flakes until sausage is evenly brown. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.